[ale] b'bye

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 25 02:29:49 EDT 2005

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	Sooo...  I've got topics...
>
> 	IPv6
> 	Encryption (file, drive, general)
> 	GPG/PGP
> 	Keysigning Party
> 	Wireless Security
> 	Forensics

I think a keysigning party and GPG/PGP talk would be most likely very
useful, especially if it covered such things as Enigmail and using GPG
or PGP with various mailer applications such as the console ones like
PINE and Mutt and others.  Then again, I think that OpenPGP is one
technology that is very underused, so talks on it could always be useful.

IPv6 is something else that I know that of all the things I've done,
I've not yet dabbled in it yet due to restrictions on my own time to
learn about it, play with it, and inability to get it to work with my
as-of-yet current network topology.

Filesystem encryption is probably yet another good topic, surrounded
with some decent applications and "why" information... and forensics
would probably be good, too, I think.  That's another area that I know
that I have somewhat minimalistic experience with... I know how the
basics, for example, but I can't do more advanced things (like the
"taskfile" raw IDE access that Linux supports, for example).

There are many things that could be useful.  I know that even though
I've been a Linux user since 1996, there are always things that others
have found/done that are new to me, and even older topics generate new
information over time, new applications, new reasoning, and the like.
Some even fall out of date, though... PPP over dialup isn't used much
anymore with the widespread use of ethernet and cable connections and
such... many people have no interest in resizing their console in pure
text mode, because they can use a framebuffer or just use X and a
desktop environment suite and it's associated terminal program, there
isn't much use in giving talks about "rolling your own" unless it's
something more specialized then generally available... the widespread
use of Linux has led to a vast array of options with it, including the
distributions that are general purpose (Gentoo, for example) and the
specific, for things like running on small machines as a router, or
running in such a fashion that requires a small amount of storage for a
root partition such as on a USB flash drive, or what have you.

Then again, with the number of topics that become outdated over time,
more and more come in all the time.  :-P

	- Mike

- --
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!