[ale] DVD life expectancy

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun May 22 17:08:21 EDT 2005

Looks like I got a batch that lower the overall average for DVD's by a
few years.

The article did not directly address the different types of optical
recording media, specifically, the different type of dyes used to make
the recordable layer. The process of making commercial CD's and DVD's is
very different from the home made variety. The commercial ones are made
with a layer of stamped aluminum. The degradation process for that is
the transparent plastic layer that sandwiches the reflective layer. For
the burned version, the dye layer is not nearly as reflective as the
aluminum. In fact, the dye layer is used as a dispersive layer so that
only the areas "burned" can actually have the laser reflected back from
the aluminum layer. In this case, the aluminum layer is blank.