[ale] Please help Drew fix his browser problem

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:01:06 EDT 2005

On 5/20/05, ChangingLINKS.com <groups at changinglinks.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Dow for taking the time to post the reply entitled
> "Debian issues from Drew"
>
> I delayed responding because I anticipated Geoffrey repairing the system.
> He bailed on the challenge. Nonetheless, I assume he would have requested your
> help anyway - so I look forward to it.

No one is going to accept some "challenge" so that they can spend
their free time fixing your, or any one else's, machine.

> I am using Firefox 0.9.1. The problem is that the browser crashes often. For
> example, when I go to http://www.kitco.com/market and then try going to
> another site, the browser crashes. It also crashes when I browse around
> fark.com. These are not the only two sites that have a problem. It seems like
> any site that has flash, java, lots of content, or has bad code will crash
> it. Based on the error message (shown below) someone told me to upgrade the X
> server. Here, you can see the original error, me updating X, and then a new
> error.
>
> Even after running apt-get install xserver-xfree86 kde (to update ALL of the X
> server and KDE) I get the second "gecko" error below
>
> root at not a tty[/]# firefox
> selected locale: en-US
> The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.

Upgrade Firefox. That is a severly old version. Had you read my
original response to your problems you would have already done this.

Here is a link for you; just click it and go --
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-1.0.4&os=linux&lang=en-US

I use Firefox on my Debian Unstable machine all the time (well, when I
am not using my Powerbook any way ;) and it is installed to
`~/bin/firefox`. I have no problems browsing sites with java on them
other than the fact that the sites typically suck. I need to upgrade
as well since I am using 1.0.3; just haven't been home long enough to
do it.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/