[ale] Updating RH9 with yum from Fedora Legacy

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Fri May 20 03:38:04 EDT 2005

I'm running a Red Hat 9 box and using yum to update it from the Fedora
Legacy Project. I configured it by following the instructions at:

   http://fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh9.php

The initial update was uneventful. Subsequent attempts got stuck
because I don't seem to have the correct key installed. Today I fiddled
with it and successfully installed 90+ updates by specifying which
packages to update. I still get key errors when trying to retrieve the
packages for perl-DateManip (see below) and nmap
(nmap-3.30-0.fdr.1.rh90.i386.rpm). I'm hoping this means that I need to
find GPG key 8df56d05. This is where I seem to have hit a wall. This
search looked promising:

   http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DF56D05&op=index

I saved the text as a file named "key" and imported it with:

   sudo rpm --import key

While it seemed to import correctly (typical unix silence), it did not
solve the problem. Using:

   sudo rpm -qa gpg*

I see a new key listed, but not with the identifier I expected (sorry,
I did not email that home). The other thing that looked promising was:

   gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 8DF56D05

This creates a keyring and adds a key to that ring. I tried exporting
the key from the ring, but ended up with a binary file that I don't
know how to import with rpm.

While I think this is simply a matter of my not knowing how to find a
GPG key, I've tried to lay out the whole story in case I went astray
somewhere else.

Thanks,

Transcript of attempt to update "perl-DateManip":

   [sc]$ sudo yum update perl-DateManip
   Server: Fedora Linux / stable for Red Hat Linux 9 (i386)
   Server: Macromedia Flash Player for Red Hat Linux 9
   Server: Red Hat Linux 9 (i386)
   Server: Red Hat Linux 9 (i386) updates
   Finding updated packages
   Downloading needed headers
   Resolving dependencies
   Dependencies resolved
   I will do the following:
   [update: perl-DateManip 5.42-0.fdr.2.a.rh90.noarch]
   Is this ok [y/N]: y
   Getting perl-DateManip-5.42-0.fdr.2.a.rh90.noarch.rpm
   warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 8df56d05
   Error: Could not find the GPG Key necessary to validate pkg

/var/cache/yum/fedora-stable/packages/perl-DateManip-5.42
-0.fdr.2.a.rh90.noarch.rpm
   Error: You may want to run yum clean or remove the file:

/var/cache/yum/fedora-stable/packages/perl-DateManip-5.42
-0.fdr.2.a.rh90.noarch.rpm
   Error: You may also check that you have the correct GPG keys installed
   [sc]$

--
Stephen Cristol
cristol at emory.edu