[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 19 20:46:42 EDT 2005

John wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am recently a new member of ale, been following intently the many
> posts  on this thread.
> Its intriguing to say the least and has raised many good points and
> discussions.

Welcome, sorry you had to join during a flame fest.  They are long but
few and usually a good distance apart.

> Personally IMHO, personal attacks shouldn't be tolerated. Life is too
> short to have grudges, and you'all raise many good points
> worthy of everyones reading and finding the little "truths".

Agreed.

> Point of interest, when I had used Mandrake Linux, I use to offer free
> shell accounts.
> I have since stopped that practice, after watching one user "own" my box
> in a matter of minutes.
>
> What was of interest was his way of hiding his files. In a dir that
> couldn't be seen using "ls -al"
> He had switched all binaries for running commands like "top" "ls" "w"
> etc...

So, anyone ever heard of fsdb?  Anyone?  It's the big brother to fsck.
With it, you can literally hide a directory from all untouched file
system listing tools.  You can only back into the directory.  That's a
sweet trick.

http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?fsdb+1M

--
Until later, Geoffrey