[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu May 19 20:38:22 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

>>How do you flash the bios to start with?  You must boot the machine,
>>usually from a floppy.  Before you get there, the bios has to run.
>

> You pull the chip out and put in a new one.  One hour tops if you
> _don't_ know what you are doing and have the new chip in hand.
> Seriously, you are trying to make this a bigger thing than it is.

Not all bios chips are removeable.  How many folks have identical
pre-coded bios chips?  Raise your hands?  As I thought.  So, unless you
have an identical motherboard with the same bios chip. You're looking at
much more then an hour.

>>If you reload the bios with your a piece of code that does not look at
>>the floppy to boot, or anything else for that matter, tell me how you
>>plan to flash the bios?
>

> Personally I would just call IBM and have them do it under warranty
> (they do that as a standard service).  If you wanted to do it yourself
> there are a TON of bios providers that will fedex you a replacement bios
> overnight.

Ah, now we've gone from 1 hour to 12 or more hours....

>>If the bios chip is removable, you can pull it and reprogram it with a
>>stand alone bios flasher, but how many people have one?  (I do)
>

> I don't, nor do I rebuild my carburetor, fix my TV, etc.
>

>>Have you ever burned a rom or eprom?  Have you written assembler?
>

> Yes, exactly 20 years ago on CPM based systems no less.
>

>>Then you should know that you can write more then just vendor bios code to
>>the chip.
>>
>>If the chip is not removable, there is the slight possibility you can
>>wire directly to the mb and flash it, but again, you need a device to do
>>that.
>>
>>How do you get the computer to flash itself when you never get out of
>>the bios and the bios does not see any boot devices?
>

> :rolleyes:

Good answer..

--
Until later, Geoffrey