[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 19:11:47 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:20 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> >>I've used CUPS many times in the past, and use it on my own workstation
> >>at home.  Yes, I've used it's web interface firsthand.  I don't give
> >>absolutes unless I know they work, because a lot of what you find on the
> >>Internet is bullshit unless you try and test it.
> >>
> >>And I'm assuming you're not the type that builds your software from
> >>source.  *shrugs*  I guess it's up to you whether or not you want your
> >>packagers to decide how everything works for you, isn't it?
> >>
> >>When I talk about software configurations, I talk from experience,
> >>unless otherwise noted.
> >

> > So, answer the question then.  Have you ever added a printer via
> > http://localhost:631 without entering a su username and password?
> >
> > -Jim P.
> >

> Can you not read?  The answer to your question is *right there* in the
> reply I gave.

You say nothing in your reply about adding a printer to cups via the
http interface.  You so say that you have seen the web interface
firsthand, but that is not necessarily clear as to what you were doing.

Did you add a printer using the web interface as a non-root user, using
a standard out-of-the-box cups install?  Or did you take one or more
steps to change cups to work without authorization, something that I
would lump into my 1000 things.

-Jim P.