[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu May 19 16:11:56 EDT 2005

On Thursday May 19 2005 13:55, George Carless wrote:
> Are you telling me you
> would prefer to have to flash the bios than to not have to flash the bios?

I would prefer to flash the bios, or replace hardware, than lose data.

> And this still doesn't address the potential for your machine being used to
> cause mischief to others, irrespective of YOUR data.
>
> --George

I don't want my box to be used to harm others. However, that IS a separate
disccussion because I could NOT run as root and have my box be a harmful to
others. Similarly, I can run as root and have my box NOT be a threat to
others.

We would have to start an entire discussion on "box security" - for example, I
would have to list the things that I have done to prevent my box from being
used to attack others. Nonetheless, I can still run as root.

If you really want to discuss the secondary issue of "world security" first
start another thread. Next, take into account that WE are using Linux - and
thus much less likely to have harmful boxes OR cause a global problem in the
first place. Time would be better spent running PSAs about computer security
on M$ boxes than spending time arguing with me about running as root.

But we really don't care about the "World" do we?
Instead, we would rather re-use the sliding slope argument that if "Drew runs
as root, the entire world is doomed." Bah.
Attempt to "take the moral highground" if you like, but your camps' actions
speak much louder than the UNreal situations they utter.

Seems like people keep forgetting the Linux factor of this discussion. People
cannot post about the security benefits (root or non-root) in this forum and
dog M$ and then act as though Linux is every bit as INsecure just by running
as root. I, for one, have more respect for the operating system than that.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown