[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 16:05:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 15:00 -0400, George Carless wrote:
> > The are not mutually exclusive.  User data can be destroyed via root or
> > non-root.  Net citizenship is a whole other discussion, and not really
> > even a user one.  Everyday people (the ones still needing to adopt
> > Linux) with computers don't think of themselves as net citizens.
>
> Then they need to learn; as, it seems, do you.

Thanks.  I suspect you don't know me very well then.

> And it's absolutely germane to the discussion; you don't get to
> just say "it's a whole other discussion" and thus negate
> the entire point.  Just because YOU have decided that this
> argument is only about apples, that doesn't mean it's not about
> the entire produce section.

Ok, why not throw in the car argument.  How do you protect your
desktop/laptop PC(s) from car accidents?  Let take this thread in
all sorts of directions.  The real issue here is that nobody can
provide solid data that run-as-root on a desktop/laptop is bad.
All they can do is hypothesis, describe hardware faults, and
obfuscate the issue.  This thread has turned from a serious "why not"
into multiple people spreading *FUD*, some presumably to probably
pump up their own measly means of existence.

-Jim P.