[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Thu May 19 14:58:00 EDT 2005

On Thursday May 19 2005 12:40, you wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > PROVE IT. You will have an opportunity - where I assist you.
> > I will even tried to coordinate the attack at the beginning of this
> > thread.
>
> I don't need your bloody opportunity to prove to me what I already know.

You do . . . to prove that your talk is not cheap (to me and others anyway).
Of course you may say "you don't care" what we think . . .
If that were true, you would not have spent so much time arguing the point
with me and others.
With the challenge, you can prove in 5 minutes the concepts you have spent
much more time writing about during the challenge. Sour grapes, I see in you.

>   As I said earlier, if you think my box is so damn insecure, why don't
> you take a crack at it?  You have 27 hours and 20 minutes...

I am not putting myself out to be that knowledgable. I hire people that are.
Moreover, you are not willing to go to the extent (that I am) to prove YOUR
box is secure. If your box is secure, you will be able to substitute YOUR BOX
for mine in the challenge (using the same rules I have set forth).

If you cannot . . . . your box (by my extreme definition) is insecure.
I try to secure my box not just from remote attacks, but from local attacks
where the system admin has the root password. That is because I realize that
I (as system admin) have caused more computer problems for myself than remote
attackers.

Think about this: I have brought my working boxes to ALE installfests on MORE
THAN ONE occasion and come back with one or MORE non-functioning boxes!
They were wrecked WHILE receiving help at the installfest. That has not only
happened in Atlanta, but here in Austin as well!
With my new system design, I have strong security against that - and happily
take my box to installfests and let anyone hammer away at problems . . .

. . . with no worries.

It is clear that you don't feel your box is secure enough to meet the test the
challenge sets forth. "Search your feelings." You will realize that it can't.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown