[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed May 18 21:47:17 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> Also, I view restoration as the ultimate end of the argument. If I can prove
> that I can reboot away all of my problems, and that gives me the about the
> same uptime and security that the "expertz" on this list get - then, again, I
> see that as a success. Not a failure.

This is where your flaw lies.  There are a number of attacks that can be
made against a computer.  As root you have access to not only the file
system, but all the hardware as well.  You need to think very hard about
this 'CHALLENGE.'  It may be that when you lose this 'CHALLENGE' (and
you will), you may find that you will not be able to reboot this
machine, ever....

--
Until later, Geoffrey