[ale] IP Aliasing (please help!)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 18:36:17 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 17:59 -0400, Ryan Fish wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I am in need of temporarily setting up IP Aliasing on a web server to
> allow traffic from IPs on two different subnets of the same class C to
> be answered by this one server.  My problem lies in not knowing how or
> where to add the second Default Gateway and Network ID.  I figure the
> Network ID would just be setup in ifcfg-eth1:N though?

Do you really need a second default gateway?   Once you add the aliased
IP it will create a route for it's subnet that should suffice most
cases.   In order to setup the second (third, etc..) interface you need
to alias the "dummy" module.  One of my /etc/modules.conf (Redhat) has
entries like this: "alias dummyX dummy" where dummyX is the name of the
aliased interface (i.e. alias0, or dummy0).  You then need to add
(again, assuming
Redhat) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0-range0

See this for details:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-December/msg02964.html

-Jim P.