[ale] seeking advanced proxy ARP assistance

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Wed May 18 18:04:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jay Libove wrote:

> Next attempt: ebtables, with this command:
>
> # ebtables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p arp -i eth3 --arp-opcode request \
>      --arp-ip-dst one_of_my_statics -j arpreply \
>      --arpreply-mac MAC_of_RT31P2_outer_interface

I think the problem here is that ebtables only inspects frames arriving on
interfaces associated with a bridge.  As a minimum, I expect you will need
(in addition to the above):

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth3
ifconfig br0 0.0.0.0

This is sort of a bridge to nowhere (having only one interface), but I
suspect it may be sufficient for your needs.

--Joe