[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:59:20 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> I mention the system is insecure because your system doesn't seem to be able
> to pass the same challenge that I put forth for my system. To me "security"
> is not simply viewed as something to ward off hackers - it is also to protect
> the computer from the user.
>
> Post your root pass, IP address and drop your firewall, or are you too
> insecure to do that? (woot! woot! a pun, giggle)

It is easy to break a system if I give you the root password.

But I'll tell you what.  You can attempt to crack your way into it, and
then provide me with the configuration of the resolver, which will be
sufficient evidence that you've broken your way into the system.

If you want to attempt to get root access and prove that you've done it,
then go ahead and make my two read-only partitions, read-write.  Go for it.

You have from now, 17:50 on Wednesday 5/18/2005, until 18:00 on Friday,
5/20/2005.  If you can not make the changes in that amount of time, then
I will have won.  If you can, then you will have won.

That's that.  Now, go.  Prove that my system isn't secure, go for it.

>>Unlike yourself, I use the system's built-in functionality to prevent
>>the problems which you mention.  It sounds to me like my system is the
>>winner, in the long run.
>
> That's nice. Replace my box in the challenge then. Let's use your box.

Nope.  But I am telling YOU, Drew, to go ahead and try to break my box.
 I am not authorizing anyone else to do so.  So, c'mon.  You have 48
hours and ten minutes.  Run.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!