[ale] Sudo

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 17:29:52 EDT 2005

Several times in the (still going)
setuid/viral/malware/root/non-root/etc discussion people have mentioned
using sudo.  One of the things I've always disliked about sudo is the
need for me to have to preface some commands I want to run as su vs
which I don't.  What I mean is as a user if I want to run "ifconfig eth
mtu 1149", I need to acually run "sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1149", but if I
want to just see what the MTU is for interface eth0 I don't need sudo.
What I think would be neat is for bash (or other shells) to remember
sudo commands that users run and to automatically invoke sudo the next
time I run the command without it.  Knowing when to use sudo is not the
issue here, having sudo know when it is needed is.

A couple of questions:

1) Why would this be good/bad?

2) Is this something bash completion could accomplish?

3) Is there any other similar scenario?

-Jim P.