[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:32:17 EDT 2005

On 5/18/05, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> How do you know his configuration?  How do you know that the upstream
> router/firewall/gateway would allow what you describe?

> Too often on this list people think they know more about others and
> their systems then they really do.  It shows in their gross assumptions
> and generalizations.

You're right. I'm a clueless newb with no idea what's going on. I bow
to your superior knowledge and experience. Moreover, I fear you.
Should you ever bring that daunting intellect to bear on me, I might
well wither away from the pressure. Please show me some mercy. Spare
me from the public embarassment. My reputation will surely be
shattered. Whatever shall I do?

I have to run now. There is a client waiting for me. Can you believe
people actually pay me to secure their systems? I'm going to come
clean with them right away, admitting my inadequacy. I'll refer them
to you. They'll be calling shortly. I'm sure they'll jump at the
chance to have someone of you caliber come in and set them straight.
I'm sure you'll save them the trouble of managing all those pesky user
accounts in no time flat. Once you've set up some uber elite egress
filtering, you can just have everyone log in as root and blaze away.
I'm sure they'll appreciate the cost savings.

--
Jonathan