[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Wed May 18 12:13:25 EDT 2005

> your ability to restore to a clean state quickly is NOT what this
> discussion is about.  Anybody can image a drive, keep a hot-swap, or
> whatnot.  That's not the point.
>
> --George

Oh GEEZ!

What IS the point?
The point (now) is whether or not Linux can be run as root safely.
Some say "No." They give a list of reasons why including:
The machine becoming a zombie, less security, fumble fingers, etc.

By structuring the challenge THIS WAY (as in "do ANYTHING to my box") I am
allowing for all of those "bad things" to happen. The worst of the worst.
Bring everything you listed WHILE I am running as root.

To be able to shrug off ALL of those problems is the point.

To be able to run as root with reasonable safety is the point.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown

P.S. I add "reasonable" here because people will start mentioning things like
physically removing the box from the house or coming up with tests THEIR
computers wouldn't pass running as root or not.