[ale] Sunday 05-22-05 6PM RUN-AS-ROOT CHALLENGE

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:09:18 EDT 2005

On 5/18/05, ChangingLINKS.com <groups at changinglinks.com> wrote:

> . At 1800 (6PM) on Sunday 05-22-05 the challenge will begin.
> . I will setup my box like so: Internet -> broadband cable modem -> box
> . I will drop all firewall rules
> . Geoffrey can confirm by phone that he has no problems reaching /
> . I will leave the system open for 30 minutes
> . During this time anyone on the ALE list can hack at my DAILY USE box
> . At 1830 (6:30PM) I will restore the entire computer within 10 minutes.
> . Finally, I will post the procedure for restoring the system as proof.

You are a fool if you do this, and so is anyone who takes you up on
your little "challenge".. Posting information to a public mailing list
offering root access to your box to a bunch of anonymous mailing list
readers for 30 minutes will not garner you much sympathy from a Judge
when some lurker from halfway around the world uses your box as a
jumping off point for an attack on someone else. It is grossly
negligent and short sighted. I hope you have a good lawyer.

--
Jonathan "know it all" Rickman