[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 03:13:12 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 20:48 -0700, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> > But, if you are the only desktop user (i.e. not a
> > server)
>

> I know it's splitting hairs, but are you saying that
> you don't have a single "server" service running on
> your system?
>
> (sshd, httpd, etc.?)

Nope, not a one that you would normally consider a service.  Cups is a
service (heck it's built on Apache), but it runs as it's own user id and
I personally bind it to localhost.  Gnome is a hornets nests of
services.  So yes I do run services, probably not ones that you are
thinking of.  None of them are listening on any public ports.  Really,
why should they on a Desktop.  Why would someone run httpd and/or sshd
on a laptop/desktop?

> The very nature of running a server "service" makes
> you a server whether you call yourself one or not.

Technically a process that listens for data to respond to can be
considered a server/service.

-Jim P.