[ale] Linux Distributions

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:32:20 EDT 2005

On 5/17/05, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Currently XP and Win2K have a much more powerful user permissions
> strategy.  If anything UNIX could gain from Windows in this area.  How
> many users or groups can you give access to your /etc/clearcase
> directory?  What if you already have NIS+ groups for devel, users and
> admins and you don't want to re-create another group with all those
> users in it?  ;-)

On this point, you are 100% correct. However, 90% of the advantage
provided by the fine grained ACLs in Windows are negated by running as
Administrator. There. Now we can argue about whether or not it is a
good idea to run as Administrator on Windows for a few more posts,
then declare the thread off-topic and drop it.

--
Jonathan "not buying the BS MRTG htaccess explanation" Rickman