[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 23:58:10 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 22:49 -0400, Jason Day wrote:
> > I'm a troll because I make counter claims and ask for evidence?  Nice.
>
> Of course not.  You're a troll because you make inflammatory comments
> designed to evoke an emotional response from a large portion of the
> audience, in the hopes of generating flamewars.  Like this, for example:
> http://ike.room17.com/pipermail/ale/2004-November/015855.html

That is a poor example.  I can do much better than that.  :-)   If you
consider my comments inflammatory half this list qualifies as the same,

> Just to set the record straight, I don't consider any of your posts in
> this little conversation we're having as trolling.  However, the fact
> that you would post a message to a LUG mailing list claiming that
> running everything as root is perfectly safe is a little suspicious.

But I never made that claim.  You are saying that I did, but I haven't.
I have argued that not all systems are alike and therefore different
policies apply, yes even 20 year old best practices.  I have only
questioned the statements that say desktop linux systems must never be
root-only.

> And the fact that you're continuing to argue with me over this after you
> agreed with Jerald earlier would seem to indicate that you're just being
> argumentative.

Look, all I'm trying to do is address the points that others make on
this topic and correct the incorrect ones that are being stated as fact
(like yours above).

-Jim P.