[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 17 22:33:11 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> But, if you are the only desktop user (i.e. not a server) of your own
> machine, 99% of what you say above is non-applicable.  So, looking at it
> from a different angle, say a traveling Linux laptop user, where's the
> risk of running as root?

If you're running as root, so is (nearly) everything else.  That means
that if you're a travelling laptop user, then other people can break it,
easier.  There is something to be said for limiting the access that you
have to a system.  I wouldn't travel with a laptop on a network running
Windows anything, given that it were my own personal laptop, for that
reason, as well.  And my own personal boxes, I run as a user, not as root.

Why?

I am not perfect.  Neither are you.

And I want it to be hard as hell for someone to break into anything, my
servers, my personal box, anything.  I actively watch for new exploits,
and get out of their was as soon as possible, even if it means that I
don't use software until a new release if it's something critical.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!