[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 17 21:56:21 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 19:57 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
>>The only *ONE* scenerio that I can think of would be that it's a machine
>>that has zero network connectivity, locked behind several doors, and
>>with zero data on it (e.g., a fresh install, not modified, and not
>>really all that useful).
>

> Nonsense.  Most Linux floppy based firewalls only have a root account.
>
> This whole non-root thing is really too encompassing for today's use of
> Linux/Unix.  20 years ago non-root use applied.  Today people use Linux
> systems in a myriad of ways, one standard does not fit all.
>
> There are plenty of examples in this thread.  ;-)

Yes, but we're talking about computers here, not firewalls.  A firewall
still should have a superuser and a regular user that has privileges
delegated, but if it's only root, then fine, have a very strong password
so that someone doesn't gain entry to the network.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!