[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 21:50:15 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 20:38 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> There is no need.  Place the user in the appropriate groups if they need
> access to something.  If you want to have the user be able to play
> audio, then place them in the audio group.  If you want them to have
> access to the CD/DVD/whatever, then let them ('man 5 fstab' is a good
> read, the 'users' keyword is what you're looking for).

Michael, you are making my point.

My "toying" with the all-root-all-the-time premise is to point out that
what you (and those before you) are identifying are part of the 1000
things that need to be done post install in order to make a Linux
desktop system usable.  If doing the Lindows way of run-as-root then
those 1000 things are gone and the inexperienced user has IMMEDIATE out
of the box functionality.  The only thing left is the question of risk.

We are not trying to identify how to do things (most of us know these
things alread), just trying to identify/contradict the risks.

-Jim P.