[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 17 21:24:47 EDT 2005

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Better re-think that if you value your user data.  Which takes more
> time: reinstalling the OS or rebuilding your user data/configs/etc?

Well, I think that personally, AV is what you make of it.  I've never
run a Linux box with AV on it... however, I do run Windows boxes with it
on, because my users browse places they're not supposed to and they use
IE, which installs whatever software from whatever spots, and can
install viruses in %SystemRoot%, %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM,
%SystemRoot%\System32, and so forth.

I *personally* have never had this problem, however nearly everyone I
know does.  And I have never had anything infect a Linux or UNIX box
that I have ever run or managed.  Period.  And that's not 100% due to
the way I manage, that I will admit.  It's also because the system, when
configured, stands stronger to attack then it's counterparts, and it's
less of a target, as well.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!