[ale] Linux Distributions

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:21:14 EDT 2005

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> Really, these threads repeat - and nothing new is learned or gained.
> My interest is only to get a fully-working OS. Other people want to make it
> about whether or not I should ever run as root. I realize that the more
> people waste energy on the root argument, the less attention will be put on
> the issues that I posted about.

The distro topic never really does get old, and there is always new
information to be learned from them.  For example, if, six years ago I
went out and asked everyone what they thought, 6 out of 10 said
Slackware, 2 said Red Hat, 1 said Caldera, 1 said SuSE.

Nowadays it seems more that people are 7 FC, 1 Gentoo, 1 Slackware, 1
Debian... I haven't heard a (lot) about the others, and you could
probably even switch 2 FC users for Mandriva / Mandrake.  In any case,
distributions grow, change, come, go, and it's good to revive the topic
to learn new things about them every now and again.

And even new reasons not to run your systems and daemons as root.

	- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                               <fd0man at gmail.com>
Website: http://fd0man.chadeux.net/     Jabber: mtrausch at jabber.com
Phone: +1-(678)-522-7934              FAX (US Only): 1-866-806-4647
Do you have PGP or GPG?  Key at pgp.mit.edu, Please Encrypt E-Mail!