[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 18:53:15 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 18:10 -0400, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> Actually, Jim's IP address is 66.223.110.198 (bugs.jimpop.net), or at
> least it was when he composed the original message. There is a
> firewall in place, and I doubt that is his real root password. He
> talks tough though. ;-)

To show you how misunderstood the Internet (not to mention security),
email headers, and such are....

66.223.110.198 is one of many IP addresses on a server on a fat-pipe
data center where there is little if any firewalling involved.  That
host does have iptables setup.  I use Yahoo! email (and have for nearly
a decade), and since they don't provide a pop3s or smpts service, I
stunnel pop3s:pop3 and smtps:smtp to that IP address so that no matter
where I am no one can read my emails.  It's not that I really really
care if people read my email, but you never know what people will send
you.  So, if you sit in that datacenter, or any of the 3 hops between
them and Yahoo!, you can read my emails, otherwise you can google for a
sizeable number of them if you so desire.

This email (and all previous ones) are being composed on my laptop,
which is sitting on my lap, from my living room in Atlanta.

And just to be clear, 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.3.101 are still current and
valid IP addresses on my laptop.  The fact that I am having to explain
this to people is quite telling.  ;-)

-Jim P.