[ale] Linux Distributions

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 17 16:49:44 EDT 2005

> >My logic was to find out why they made their statements, and then
> >configure a system that won't have the weaknesses they they point out.
> >With Linux, I have the luxury of building a system that won't be as
> >"insecure" as the systems of the "experts." My system is configured so
> >that even an expert could run it as root and not screw it up. ;) More
> >importantly, it is setup so that someone like me (who just uses Linux to
> >get things done) can run the box well without having my poor admin skills
> >be a factor.
>
> If you really believe that, post your ip address, root password to the
> list and we'll see how long your machine remains available (much less
> secure).

I think it's worth pointing out that the issue that we've been discussing has actually
rather little bearing on how well-protected a box is from the outside, and unless Jim can be
convinced to run a trojan etc., I don't think that this "come and attack my box" thing is
too relevant.

I have the perverse notion of posting the occasional "cool file!" link to the list, though;
who knows what treasures such a file might hold for the root user? ;)

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound