[ale] Linux Distributions

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:30:30 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 15:57 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 14:25 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > > They can't do "sudo mkfs /dev/hda8" (unless you misconfigured sudo).
> >
> > Misconfigured? Or just configured for easy use (NOPASSWD: ALL)?
>
> Like I said, misconfigured.

I say easy to use.  Again, NOPASSWD on a server makes good sense, but on
my laptop?  Come on.  Imaging having to sudo (and give a password) every
time you wanted to:

         dial a modem
         burn a cd
         connect to a wireless hotspot
         use bluetooth
         print
         modify /etc/hosts
         delete old system logs
         add a new user so a friend can log in
         play a game like quake
         etc

Some of those things don't presently require sudo, this is due to the
use of setuid.  HOWEVER, if you believe the diatribe about running as
root on desktop PCs, you need to also believe the diatribe of using
setuid.  SOo, wholistically you can either have a productive easy to use
PC or you can have a pain-in-the-a**-to-use PC that is "more" secure.
YMMV.

-Jim P.