[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue May 17 16:24:15 EDT 2005

On Tuesday May 17 2005 13:19, Jerry Yu wrote:
> it is all about risk management and balance. If one weights the convenience
> of running as root higher than the inherent risk of destroying the whole
> systems (and, on a hobby system, don't care about down-time, bad publicity,
> and recovery), go at it.
>
> sorta like, common wisdom has it that 'DUI is bad'. Then again, there's
> always someone insists that he/she can simply love the thrill of DUI. With
> enough luck, he/she still has breath left to brag about it.

To go farther on those lines, one can setup the OS so that it can be hacked,
run as root, rm -rf /, and sat in front of an impatient user like myself.
Just because all systems aren't set up that way, doesn't mean there aren't
any that are.

Along with your analogy, I do "enjoy driving drunk" but I make sure that I'm
1. In the wide open desert
2. Have on a helmet
3. Have a full roll cage
4. Have a speed limiter

With enough preparation (and a little luck) . . . . safety and security can be
maintained.
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown