[ale] Linux Distributions

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 17 15:37:18 EDT 2005

> Most desktop users don't use their systems in "limited" roles.  They
> want/need the power of the PC.  This is the Lindows argument, and a
> valid one in my view, for using the super-user (i.e. root) account.

"Power" is a rather vague term; running under a user account restricts very little in terms
of what you can do in a 'constructive' sense, while restricting what you can do in a
'destructive' sense; the user who is not running as root will be prevented from trashing the
system, but will be able to install and run applications, use resources, etc.  Could this
process be simplified, making life easier for people without root (or who do not wish to run
as root)?  Of course; indeed, there is probably a problem with developers who unnecessarily
assume root where they do not need to.  But this is not the same as saying that running as
root is "sensible" or "valid"; some sacrifices should not be made, and I don't care whether
it's in a single-user or a multi-user environment.  To take the view that running as root is
just fine is to lose a significant advantage that Linux etc. have over Windows.

One more thing: I don't think this is a flamewar; I
think it's an interesting discussion.  What flaming there has been has come from me,
admittedly, but it was not over the assertion that "running as root is fine" but rather from
what I perceived as someone making a controversial statement while refusing to answer to it.

Cheers,
--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound