[ale] Linux Distributions

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 17 15:03:01 EDT 2005

> > The issue isn't (generally) the well known apps which have many
> > developers looking at it over a long time such as mkfs, ifconfig, ip,
> > etc but the other 3rd party apps with a less picked apart code.
>
> Agreed.  Use what you trust, not what you don't.  The chief problem on
> Windows isn't running as Administrator, it's trusting poorly written
> applications.

No; it's exactly the other way around.  There will always be
poorly-written applications - and even the best-written applications
will always have bugs, particularly in an environment where code reuse
is considered a Good Thing and where many "well-written", to-be-trusted
applications can make use of libraries which have problems.  I would
doubt that there is such a thing as a bug-free program of any
complexity.  So it becomes a matter of mitigating the potential for
damage.

--George