[ale] Linux Distributions

ChangingLINKS.com groups at changinglinks.com
Tue May 17 14:32:13 EDT 2005

On Tuesday May 17 2005 12:49, James Sumners wrote:
> I remember things quite well and I don't recall a single one of these
> problems being posted to the ALE list. But, I also hardly ever read
> your posts because you and I just plain disagree on about everything.
> For instance, you are blaming problems on Debian because you can not
> find people willing to work with someone who thinks that running as
> root is a good thing when Debian is a _very_ security concious
> distribution. The people that run Debian, and know what they are
> doing, are also very security concious. When you tell them that you
> won't listen to their suggestions is it little wonder that they will
> not help you?

You are correct. I should not have been baited into the root argument.
I'll add that I have a very secure system - even running as root.
If you want, I'll open up a box you can test/crack on and give you my IP.
I'll even drop the 2nd firewall . . . no worries.

> There is only ONE instance in which running as root is a "good thing"
> -- when the machine isn't connected to a network and will never, ever,
> be touched by anyone except yourself. Even then it is a bad idea for
> reasons already stated by others on the list.

I only read one reason. "fumble fingers" What other points were raised?
Securing a box from the user was extremely important to me. I can do:
su - root
rm -rf /
walk away (for 15 minutes) to let the command execute
and have the box the OS back up in under 3 minutes.
Data resoration takes longer - but that's due to transfer time.

> Sorry, but you have not given any information as to what is wrong in
> _any_ of your problems. I did the best I could at 8:15 in the morning
> with the information you gave us. If you really, truly, want help with
> your problems you need to first learn to accept the answers and second
> provide enough information to get the problems solved.

OK. I will. I will start separate threads for these issues. Thanks for
offering help - I should have paid less attention to the personal attacks and
more attention to the help you were trying to offer. In the new threads, I
will do my best to ignore such attacks and stay on topic. Please join me.

> This is not a case of the Debian community being arrogant. No, it is
> quite the opposite.

I'm not arrogant, I'm just Konfident. Yo! Yo!
(inside joke for those that bought the T-shirt)
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown