[ale] Linux Distributions

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Tue May 17 14:06:26 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:50:30PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 12:18 -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> >   I CAN run my motorcycle ....
>
> Yes, but are you running it as root?  :-)
>
> I agree w/ CL, yes, you can can run a properly configured desktop as
> root/Administrator without fear.  No, you should not run server
> processes as root.

Why would you want to run a desktop as root?  This is just asking for
trouble.  Unless you're going to spend the time with a fine-tooth comb
to audit every piece of software that you run, there's no rationale for
running as root.  Become root - or sudo - when you need to; the rest of
the time, don't.  Otherwise, running as root without problems is just a
matter of luck.  How you have things configured really doesn't make too
much difference when a sleep-deprived session leads you to inadvertently
rm -fR / ...

--George
George Carless ... kafka at antichri.st
Words are just dust in deserts of sound