[ale] Install RPM file and specify install directory

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon May 16 22:20:31 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 13:32 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> > rpm --relocate /usr=/usr/local
>
> My understanding is that --relocate and --prefix only handle binary
> files so they are not 100% guaranteed to not install on top of an
> existing install.  One would think that --prefix would, but man rpm says
> it only applies to binaries.

The trick is to look at the binary rpm first and see where all of it's
parts are headed. Then using --relocate will let you specify where the
binaries will go.

This is not an issue for src.rpm files as they are going to be compiled
to make binaries anyway.

The big caveat is applications that have hard coded config files that
have overlap with the earlier versions. In that case, it is required to
get the src.rpm and recompile after some prudent spec file editing.

At this point, it's easier to just get the tarball and do the configure-

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>