[ale] Install RPM file and specify install directory

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Mon May 16 10:26:04 EDT 2005

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> You will need the src rpm (SRPM) and you will need to use rpmbuild to
> rebuild the package.  I think, but am not sure, that you will need to
> also modify the .spec file to alter the target directory.  First check
> the man page of rpmbuild, there might be a way to override it these
> days.

you shouldn't need to rebuild just to get it into /usr/local instead of
/usr

rpm --relocate /usr=/usr/local

or

rpm --prefix /usr/local

work if the rpm was built even semi-sanely

> On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 20:06 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > I need to install gpgme03 and have gpgme10 installed already.  Some
> > programs need one and some the other.  How can I install the gpgme03 RPM
> > and specify its install to a directory like /usr/local so that it
> > doesn't conflict with packages from the newer gpgme?

See above.

It likely won't really help you though, because you'll still have to deal
with dependency resolution and such (simply putting files in a different
location is a solution for a different problem)

What you want is to find packages of gpgme 1.0 and gpgme 0.3 which were
designed to co-exist. Fedora has them already in the Extras -- don't know
about other RPM-based distros

later,
chris