[OT] [ale] Big Brother Wins, We lose...

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Fri May 13 09:32:21 EDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 7:20 PM, aaron wrote:

> In other words, the "law" makes compliance a matter of extortion.

We may have to agree to disagree on the definition of extortion. I
define extortion as the gaining of something through force or
threats. My employer does not "extort" work from me through force or
threats. My father did not "extort" lawn mowing from me by offering
me twenty dollars to do it.

> If a state expects to get a legitimate share of the federal tax
> dollars that
> it's citizens contribute to the national coffers, they better
> freakin get
> busy registering their gays and blacks and jews and hispanics and
> libertarians and quakers and arabs and asians with the Harmland
> Secretpolice
> data base.

"legitimate share" is ambiguous and inflammatory. If you are making
the argument that the States are _entitled_ to the Federal taxes
their constituents pay, then that is a completely separate and
different discussion to be had.

You are eligible for a grant if you participate in this centralized
database, otherwise you are not. If you do not, you are not entitled
to a financial grant. If you do not wish to spend State funds to
bring your identification up to specification, you are not required
to do so, however you do create a case where your citizens must then
acquire a Federally approved identification measure, namely a passport.

It is the State's choice whether they wish to bear the cost of this
inconvenience or their citizens. Keep in mind, the requirements of
Title II for Federal compliance should have been implemented long
since on a State level to prevent fraud. Outside the context of the
rest of this bill, Title II is reasonable. There are many other
reasons this bill should not have passed Congress apart from Real ID,
and it is disconcerting that Real ID is what the media is focusing on.

> I'm sure the states will be similarly extorted when its time for
> them to start
> issuing the arm bands...

Thank you for illustrating exactly what I meant by fear, uncertainty,
and doubt.