[ale] OT: U.S. National Identity Cards All But Law

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 14:54:37 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 12:57 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
> >
> > :-)  A state ID is a drivers license w/o a permit to drive.  It is
> > issued by the same authority, produced in the same manner, and resembles
> > a drivers license very closely.
> >

> Yes, but the trick is that the only people that are actually *required*
> to have a state issued drivers license are those that drive-for-hire,
> essentially.

I said State ID, not state issued drivers license.  There are commercial
drivers licenses (CDL) for truck/bus/etc and then there are State IDs
for people who don't need to drive.  State IDs can be used to bank, buy
alcohol, etc., just not drive.  CDL holders can also buy alcohol as
demonstrated by half the cab drivers in Atlanta. :-)

-Jim P.