[ale] Linux App Hosting...

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Thu May 12 00:06:14 EDT 2005

David Fitzhenry wrote:
> I've looked at eapps, and like the price, $20 for standard plans
> (http://www.eapps.com/Docs/VPSStandardPrices.jsp), which gives you 600mb
> hd, 20gb traffic, and 125 processes.  Anybody found more for less, with
> a good company?

I've started using a company called unixshell, www.unixshell.com. They offer Xen
based virtual server hosting. You get a virtual linux server, with full root
access. They've got a fairly liberal AUP, with the exception that you can't do
anything irc related because of filtering being done by the colo facility they
use. They offer quite a selection of distros you can run in the vm. You get ssh
access to the console of your vm, so if you pooch your network settings somehow,
you can still get in via the console port. They do expect their customers to be
able to admin their own vm, so they only offer support for issues outside of
your vm, ie the physical host or network. Support for issues inside your vm will
cost you. The prices are reasonable to me, I'm paying $40/mo for a VM with 192MB
RAM, 16GB of hard disk space, and 192GB of traffic each month.

FWIW, I'm happy with them. :)

--
Jason Fritcher
jkf at wolfnet.org