[ale] 45GB Triple-Layer HD DVDs

Randal Jarrett rsj at radio.org
Wed May 11 13:57:27 EDT 2005

Hardware: 45GB Triple-Layer HD DVDs

Posted by timothy on Wednesday May 11, @12:49PM
from the my-laptop's-drive-now-feels-tiny dept.
m4c north writes "Toshiba has developed a new DVD-ROM: 45GB spread over
3 layers. From the press release (which has a few illustrations) the new
discs have the ability "to record twelve hours of high-definition movies
on a single disc." They've also added a "dual-layer hybrid ROM disc
comprised of a dual-layer HD DVD-ROM side and a dual-layer DVD-ROM
side." Japan Today's article adds, "The huge capacity means that a
single disk can store a Hollywood movie trilogy." Do I smell yet another
Star Wars re-re-release? Toshiba will take the wraps off the new DVDs at
the Media-Tech Expo 2005 in Las Vegas. The HD DVD Promotion group offers
the press release in PDF."