[ale] Big Brother Wins, We lose... From /. Real-ID Passes U.S. Senate 100-0

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue May 10 23:52:38 EDT 2005

Here is what our beloved Saxby Chambliss had to say about the Bill
earlier this morning:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 418, the
"REAL ID Act of 2005."  I appreciate hearing from you on this
important matter.

        The 9-11 Commission's terrorist travel report states that
abuse of the immigration system and a lack of interior enforcement
worked together to support terrorist activities.  The commission
recommended reducing terrorist travel options so that terrorists
will be forced to rely on means of interaction which can be more
easily monitored, as well as travel documents more easily
detectable for fraud.

       The REAL ID Act contains four provisions aimed at
disrupting terrorist.  The first deals with monitoring driver's
licenses as a form of identification to a Federal official.  It is not
trying to regulate states' policies for those who may or may not
drive a car, but rather to ensure that people are who they say they
are.  Second, this legislation will tighten our asylum laws.  The
primary method the 9-11 terrorists used to remain in our country
was immigration fraud.  This legislation will reduce immigration
fraud while still protecting legitimate asylum seekers.  Third, the
REAL ID Act will waive federal laws to the extent necessary to
complete gaps in the San Diego border security fence.  Finally, this
legislation makes aliens deportable from the U.S. for terrorism-
related offenses to the same extent that they would be inadmissible
to the United States to begin with.

       As you know, H.R. 418 was introduced in the House of
Representatives on January 26, 2005.  On February 10, 2005, H.R.
418 passed the House of Representatives.  On February 14, 2005,
the bill was received by the Senate.

       Since September 11, 2001, President Bush and Congress
have made numerous efforts to help make our country safe from
terrorism.  As your United States Senator, rest assured that I will
make every effort possible to ensure that the atrocities that
occurred on that day never occur again.  The REAL ID Act will
make America a safer place, and is endorsed by the 9-11 Families
for a Secure America, an association of family members of 9-11
victims.

       Again, thank you for contacting me on this important
matter.  If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not
hesitate to let me know.  In the meantime, if you would like to
receive timely email alerts regarding the latest congressional
actions and my weekly e-newsletter, please sign up via my web
site at: www.chambliss.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Saxby Chambliss
United States Senate