[ale] Anyone installed Linux on Fry's "Great Quality" laptops ?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 9 14:19:34 EDT 2005

Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On 5/6/05, Mills, John M. <Mills.J at ems-t.com> wrote:

>>JM> Subject says it: I wondered if one of these $599 units would be a good
>>Linux
>

> I bought their $599 HP laptop a few weeks ago.  Linux ran fine, but
> the hardware felt like a piece of junk.  When I figured out how to fix
> my current laptop I was happy to return the new one.

Interesting.  I purchased a $499 hp pavilion ze4900 at (short) circuit
city around Christmas time and I've been quite pleased with it.  What is
it that you don't like about it?

> I don't think it's the same machine, however.
>
> Before I bought it I can to FRy's with a couple of LIve CDs and tried
> them out.  No one there complained about me rebooting the laptops onto
> the CDs.  Knoppix let me try out every thing on the laptop before I
> bought.

A quick google of GQ (for 'Great Quality') did not turn up very many
happy customers.  Mostly complaints.  I'd stick with one of the better
known vendors when picking up a laptop.

--
Until later, Geoffrey