[ale] ATI closed source graphics drivers

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat May 7 19:40:01 EDT 2005

This may be a little late, but I've used the the ATI commercial driver on the Vaio I got a couple of weeks ago, and it is working quite well.  It was a little more involved than point and click for the install, but the directions worked like a charm on SuSE Pro 9.3.  I had previously used the open source drivers on a Thinkpad, but I couldn't get the commercial drivers to work.  I think I had a glxgears number around 1200 on that one.

With the open source driver on the Vaio, I had a glxgears number around 330, but went improved to about 2300 with the commercial driver.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
678-697-9420

>>> Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com  >>>
Thanks everyone for the advice!  I am completely impressed with the
Nvidia driver.  We have a professor that will be purchasing a Dell
Precision workstation soon and wanted advice on using the stereographics
Crystal Eyes product.  After investigating I found this out:

www.stereographics.com is the web link
The Crystals Eyes package does require a Vertical Refresh rate on a CRT
monitor to be at or above 100Hz!
It won't work with LCD monitors due to the above criteria
A good CRT is getting harder to find due to all the LCD popularity.

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB= $699.99
Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 HM204DT= $629.42

Are both capable of the 100Hz Vertical refresh at 1600x1200.  I think
the Iiyama is better based on the specs.

The Nvidia cards and driver support using the stereo devices with the
three pin DIN port to sync the glasses to the monitor's oscillating
output of two images.  It is wireless as well.  You can't use it with
dual screens though since each program that is coded to support the
product hasn't been designed to handle two monitors.  I'm sure it could
be done, but the tech guys at stereographics said the glasses would work
for the monitor the program was displayed on but the other monitor would
look weird since the programs displayed there would not be producing the
stereo output.  I'd love to get to experiment but I think only one
monitor will get purchased at this point.

None of the above info is about ATI but I appreciated what everyone
posted and thought I'd pass on this nugget about the stereo product.  It
will be used to look at structures from protein crystallization
processes on the computer inside of x-ray crystallographic modelling
programs.  She also will use stereo vision to help see ligands being
docked inside the active site of the same proteins she has
crystallized.  It is too expensive to own the equipment to collect the
spectra so national labs contract with researchers such as herself to do
the x-ray tests.  Then she takes the data and works on her systems to
interpret, visuallize, and work with the data.

Thanks,
Dow