[ale] slackware 10.1 crash

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat May 7 13:35:07 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 15:45 +0000, zeb morgan wrote:
> I have a problem.
>
> Running Slack 10.1 and it won't boot.  LILO comes up o.k.  When booting,
>       when the system gets to "e2fsck" it hangs.  The error message is
> "bad magic number in superblock."  "The superblock could not be read..."

This is not an issue with slackware. It's a hardware issue. The super
block is damaged or worn out and can't be read. When that is gone, the
ability to boot from that drive is also gone. It is best to replace the
drive and migrate over any data.

> Yet, when I boot from a Knoppix CD, I can read everything on the system,
> so apparently the data is all o.k.

The Knoppix boot up is not accessing the superblock on the drive so it
works just fine. The rest of the drive data has nothing to do with the
superblock so it shows up OK as well.

> I don't think I did anything stupid.  I was installing and configuring
> Slack and never got the configuration complete.
>
> I have not been able to find any method of restoring the superblock. I
> can "fix" the system by reinstalling Slack. There is nothing critical on
> this system.  So the only real loss is my time
>
> It is an old machine that I use for experimental purposes.  I have had
> the identical problem recurrently on another old system.  The two
> systems are different--different CPUs, different system boards.

The key here is "old systems". Hard drives have a finite lifespan. Yours
have been exceeded :)  Time for a trip to the parts store. WooHoo!!