[ale] ATI closed source graphics drivers

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat May 7 08:30:41 EDT 2005

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Do the ATI driver work as well as the Nvidia one?

I've not used the Nvidia driver, but based on the experiences I've seen
folks post regarding the Nvidia driver and my experiences with the ATI
drive, I would say no.  I went back to the free driver because I didn't
see any gain in using the ATI driver.

I don't have an ATI
> based machine to try on.  It would sure make choosing a laptop easier
> for me or recommending one for others.  I just need to be able to
> recommend hardware accelerated OpenGL based performance on a laptop but
> don't want a 10lb monster.

My sony viao has an ati chipset and it supports acceleration.  Then
again, it's the largest (heaviest) laptop Emperor Linux was selling at
the time, so it likely does not meet your criteria. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey