[ale] Wireless DSL?

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu May 5 08:30:47 EDT 2005

Preston Boyington wrote:
> I am looking into an ISP (VeriQik) that does "wireless DSL".  I was hoping someone could let me know the downside / limitations of this kind of service.  Is it possible to do SSH connections, gaming, streaming, etc. with services such as these (I am looking into the 256K package)?
>
> I would think that I could set up whatever I needed on my Linux machine pretty easily (hopefully they won't hassle me about getting the settings).

We have a few different companies competing down here.  So far, the caveats I've heard are that it is slower and more expensive than hardwired DSL, coverage (for Sydney) still isn't 100% so you may drop out if you are mobile, and lastly 1) the modems are external 2) with external battery packs making them less then ideal for true roaming.