[ale] VPN (s are) hell

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue May 3 23:54:41 EDT 2005

I have a new VPN I'm setting up and it just isn't working right. I'm
sure its a firewall issue but I'm stumped.

It's a net-to-net setup using OpenSwan on the gateways. From one end on
the LAN, I can ping another machine on the other LAN by IP address.
However, I _can't_ ping back the other way which is why I think it's a
firewall issue. I can see the traffic moving with tcpdump running on
multiple interfaces. I can see the ESP packets leaving and returning to
the external interfaces and I can the the decrypted packets entering the
LAN interfaces. I did some ping size tests and can get a max MTU of
15236 which is bigger than normal.

I can't get jack else through the tunnel. No ssh, no http, no netbios,
no telnet, nada, bipcus.

I set up a rule in iptables  on both ends to not NAT the traffic for the
other end (I don't expect I should be seeing any pings work otherwise).

I have both ends of the firewall so open I'm worried right now.

So I have developed a one way ping tunnel.  Argghhhhh.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>