[ale] [OT] VoIP recommendations

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 15:38:18 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 15:07 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> Is that your experience or perception?

Experience.  And I work as a VoIP developer for a VoIP solutions
company, so it is educated experience as well.

> I'm perfectly happy with my vonage service.  The sound quality is
> indistinguishable from my landline from Bellsouth.

That clearly wasn't my experience at home.  I do see VoIP work on
controlled networks everyday.  But a home user has no control over the
network their traffic crosses.  Home users are at the mercy (with no
SLA) of their ISP and their ISP's ISP, etc.

> >>A really really bad TDMA cellphone connection is still better than
> >>broadband VoIP these days.  Tomorrow may change things as codecs are
> >>constantly improved and networks (hopefully) become more reliable.
>
> Wrong again.

Wrong?  Or just not what you've seen.  That is my opinion above and I
still stand by it.

> My old tdma cell wouldn't recieve a signal in my home
> office.  I don't know where you get this info, but it does not match my
> personal experiences.
>

> > So, in short, it wouldn't be good for general contact, is that right?
>
> I disagree with all he had to say.  Does not appear that he's used the
> service, said he's looked into it.

Wow, what kind of cut+copy+paste job is this? Are you addressing me or
Michael?

-Jim P.