[ale] [OT] VoIP recommendations

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 13:45:53 EST 2005

I heavily looked into doing the all VoIP at Home thing a few months ago.
In short the latency and packetloss issues of using either 256K DSL
(BellSouth) or 5Mb/384k Cable (Comcast) made it impossible to conduct a
business call without seriously causing problems for people on the other
end of the call or conference bridge.  Vonage is probably ok for limited
use to call and order a pizza or such.  VoIP in general for broadband
home users just isn't there (IMHO) for "realtime" conversations where
you don't have a 5 sec lag and you aren't constantly repeating things.

A really really bad TDMA cellphone connection is still better than
broadband VoIP these days.  Tomorrow may change things as codecs are
constantly improved and networks (hopefully) become more reliable.

-Jim P.