[ale] vsftpd failure suse 9.2

linux linux at jtholmes.com
Wed Mar 30 11:25:21 EST 2005

I actually have vsftpd set up from xinetd and it answers and asks
for the password and gives me a prompt

230 Login Successful
ftp>

but when I perform  any command
ls
cd xfer

I get
500 OOPS: capset

This problem only exists with my compiled version 2.6.10
of the linux kernel

The problem does not exist
With Suse's  2.6.8-24.11 Kernel

However with my 2.6.10 Kernel I have the problem

I have looked all over and have come to the conclusion
that my  .config  kernel file is missing some config value
but I did a  sorted  sdiff on my  .config and the  suse 2.6.8-24.11
.config and the main net stuff is in both.

All the software is from the Suse 9.2. release except when I load
my  version of the kernelThe

I also suspect that possibly vsftpd is not interacting with the kernel
correctly since mine is newer and not specificially compiled for
Suse.

Any help would be appreciated. Just pointing me in the right direction
would be fine as I learn much more that way.
jtholmes